Thursday 28 August 2014


One of Africa's richest women and chairman of Famfa Oil,
Mrs Folorunsho Alakija yesterday August 27th revealed
that she never went to a university, saying one does not
need a university education to make it in life. Mrs Alakija
said this while speaking with students of the University of
Lagos during the 2014 UN International Youths Day in
Lagos.
"I come from Ikorodu, Lagos state. I am married to a
dashing young lawyer of 70 years of age and we have
four grown up gentlemen and grandchildren. It has
not been a rag to riches fairytale. It has not been an
overnight phenomenon like some cases which you
find here and there all over the world. For as long as I
can remember, I had always wanted my own
business. Hard work...am trying to tell you how I got
to where I am if you want those billions. Hard work,
diligence, persistence...days where you nearly gave
up but I chose not to give up." Continue...
It would have been easy to compromise but I chose
not to and I stayed focus. I could have stayed a
secretary as my father desired according to his plan
for me but I had bigger aspirations. I dreamt big. God
strengthened me and gave me wisdom. I had a
passion and burning desire to succeed. Being a
secretary, a banker, a fashion icon, a cooperate
promoter and printer, a real estate owner, an oil
magnate, that I can assure you was no easy feat.
Firm belief that what is worth doing is what doing
well or not doing at all. I took charge of my life with
the tools I have shared with you. I chose to become
born again at the age of 40. I chose to make a
covenant with God that if he would bless me I would
work for him all the days of my life. I chose to hold
on to the cross and look up to him every step of the
way. Today additional accomplishment includes a
wife of almost 40 years, a mother, grandmother,
ministry, counseling, outreach, NGO Rose of Sharon
Foundation for widows and Author, writer, author of
several inspirational books. All I say to the glory of
God. So I am 63 and I am not yet done. So what is
your excuse? I never went to a University and I am
proud to say so because I don't think I have done too
badly. You do not have to have a University
education to be able to make it so count yourselves
privileged to have that education as part of the
feather in your cap" she said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment