Monday, 31 August 2015

Kanye West announces run for Presidency 2020

Kanye West was honored in a big way during Sunday night's
MTV Video Music Awards by receiving the Michael Jackson
Video Vanguard Award, an accolade previously awarded to
superstars like Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears,
Madonna and The Beatles throughout the show's more than
20-year tenure.
He accepted the prestigious award but not without a
13minute acceptance speech that blew any previous Kanye
moments way out of the water.
West
Prior to Yeezy taking the stage, Taylor Swift  talked about the
infamous 2009 VMAs Best Female Video debacle that pinned
the two hit makers against each other for years to follow.
Taylor said any feud between the two was laid to rest long
ago, admitting that Kanye's 2004 College Dropout was the
first album she bought on iTunes.
"I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish but
Kanye has had one of the greatest careers of all time," Swift
playfully joked as the honoree prepared to deliver his
speech.
As the crowd chanted his name, West looked visibly
overwhelmed before recanting his numerous regrets
surrounding the career-polarizing move.
"If I had to do it all over again, what would I have
done? Would I have worn a leather shirt? Would I
have drank half a bottle of Hennessy and gave the
rest of it to the audience...? If I had a daughter at
that time would I have gone on stage and grabbed
the mic from someone else's?" he asked.
West also acknowledged the backlash he has felt throughout
his outspoken career: "The contradiction is, I do fight for
artists, but in that fight I somehow was disrespectful to
artists. I didn't know how to say the right thing, the perfect
thing," adding, "Sometimes I feel like I died for the artists'
opinion, for the artist to be able to have an opinion after they
were successful."
And to top it all off, looks like the US might be looking
"West" for the 2020 presidential election. Yes, that's right.
Kanye announced he's running for president.
Kanye West announced he was running for president in
2020 during the MTV VMAs on Sunday.
The bold declaration came at the end of an epic acceptance
speech for a lifetime achievement award.
Read More

Man kidnaps, feeds person he thought was homeless

A Connecticut man is accused of kidnapping a man he
thought was homeless, then feeding him in his home.
Police responding to a home on West Wooster Street in
Danbury just before 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday after receiving
an animal complaint were met with a 77-year old man who
told them the strange series of events leading up to the
complaint.
He said he'd been pushing a carriage of cans and bottles
down Lincoln Avenue when another man approached him,
and insisted that the man follow him, police said.
The victim said the man, identified as David Pope, grabbed
him by the arm, escorted him back to Pope's residence and
then brought him inside, police said. While they were inside
the home, Pope's dog, a pit bull or Staffordshire Terrier,bit
the victim’s leg, police said.
Even after the dog bite, Pope proceeded to feed the victim, a
news release from police says. At one point, the victim was
able to leave Pope’s house without being detected, went to
his own house and called police.
When police officers went to speak with Pope, he refused to
put his dog away so officers could not safely interview him.
When officers did eventually speak with Pope, he appeared
to be drunk and said he thought the victim was homeless
and was offering him food. Pope was charged with
interfering with the duties of an officer, second-degree
reckless endangerment, second-degree kidnapping and
disorderly conduct.
David was held on a $500 bond. It's not clear if he is being
represented by an attorney.
Read More
A major crisis that may disrupt road transportation in
Nigeria for a long period if not averted by the Presidency
has broken out between commercial transporters in the
country and the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC.
The crisis of confidence between the two parties arises over
the decision by the commission to introduce speed limit
device technology on commercial vehicles with effect from
September 1 this year. N35,000 for device, N1,000 for
installation.
It was learnt that the FRSC is working with a private
Nigerian firm to enforce the controversial deal, which would
require each vehicle owner to buy the device for N35,000
and pay additional N1,000 for installation.
The transporters claim that with each of the 25 million
vehicles in Nigeria paying N36,000 to the FRSC, it would
rake in at least N900 billion from innocent Nigerians for a
technology that would not add value to their lives.
In a protest letter to the FRSC, the transporters warned the
commission to desist from going ahead with the project, as
it would endanger the lives of vehicles owners rather than
protect them and accused the FRSC of bringing an outdated
technology to Nigeria, which had long been phased out in
Britain, India, Kenya, Tanzania, United States of America and
Uganda because of its adverse negative effects.
The road transporters writing under the aegis of
International Human Rights and Anti-corruption Society gave
the FRSC one month with effect from August 17, 2015 to
publicly declare the discontinuation of the device or face a
court action. In the letter addressed to the Corps Marshal of
the FRSC, and signed by the Director General, Dr. U.O.
Udofia and Secretary General, Barrister E.A. Egbebu, the
group also drew the attention of the commission that it
lacks the power to introduce the said device under the
Section 10 (3) of the FRSC Act of 2007.
It warned that the FRSC should adopt and use the world
acclaimed Spider Technology that comes with a 3-in-one
high definition camera with long range monitoring of
highways to capture over speeding vehicles.
The group pointed out that while it does not oppose the use
of technology to control road speed limit on the highways, it
would not fold its hands and allow the FRSC to bring in
anything for money-making purpose and endanger the lives
of vehicle owners.
They complained that while the Spider technology was being
used globally it was wrong for the FRSC to contemplate
installing speed limiter on vehicles so that they do not run
beyond the fixed limit even when pursued by armed robbers,
kidnappers, hired killers and car snatchers. “Speed limiter in
all developed and African countries had been banned.
Again speed limit device had been discovered to expose
motorists to danger such as armed robbery and other
dangerous exposures.
“Therefore, in a country like Nigeria where there is
serious prevalence of insecurity, the installation of
speed limiter in vehicles would be counterproductive
and self-defeating,” the transporters said.
Meanwhile, the Federal Road Safety Commission has
insisted that the speed limiter will be enforced by the
commission with effect from tomorrow.
Vanguard
Read More
There was commotion on Sunday at the United Methodist
Church, Mafoluku, in the Oshodi area of Lagos as members
of the church chased away their pasto for allegedly
impregnating his housemaid.
It was learnt that the pastor, Barkuma Andrew, was stopped
from leading the church seven months ago when the
housemaid, who was also a member of the church, Grace,
had complications after aborting the pregnancy.
Andrew had lived with his wife, children, wife’s cousin,
Favour, and Grace in a three-bedroomed flat on the church
premises before the incident.
It was gathered that the members had petitioned the Central
Conference of the church in Taraba State to investigate the
alleged accusation.
Then sought the service of another pastor three weeks ago
when the district reportedly failed to probe Andrew.
At 10 am on Sunday, members of the church showed up for
Sunday service only to see that Andrew and some
“unknown” people had commenced the service.
This angered the congregation which proceeded to chase
out Andrew and his group from the church.
Men from the Makinde Police Division, including the DPO,
were said to have intervened after the incident was reported
at the station.
A member of the church and a former secretary to Andrew,
Moses Sherima, said that the pastor sent his wife to her
village after he impregnated Grace.
He said:
“My room is opposite pastor’s apartment and I was
his secretary. When he started dating that girl
(Grace), I called his wife’s cousin, Favour, on the
matter. She said Grace used to tell her whenever the
pastor had sex with her.
“At a point, I had to move upstairs when I could no
longer bear it. The day that abortion happened, I was
sleeping inside my room when I heard Grace
screaming. I rushed there and saw blood coming out
from her private parts. When the wife came back
from one of her numerous journeys, he told her to
send Favour away.”
Another church member, John Komboroh, said the church
was embarrassed by Andrew’s conduct, adding that they
were tired of his leadership.
He said:
“The petition of adultery against the pastor had been
sent to the bishop at the Central Conference. He
came here, but did not do anything about it. That
was why we wrote to the main body, the Southern
Conference to give us another pastor. His (Andrew’s)
action is an embarrassment to us. We don’t want
him again.”
The new pastor of the church, Reverend James Sunday,
said,:
“We were about to start our service this morning
when we met the old pastor and some unknown
people already holding the service. I calmed down
my people to avoid chaos.”
Another resident and a female member, who identified
herself only as Blessing, said the pastor had once made
sexual advances to her.
“My husband is not always at home. The pastor
would call me in the night and asked if I had slept.
One day he entered my room and gave me a soft
slap on my back. I had only the wrapper on me.
“I was surprised and told my neighbours.”
Punch
Read More

Dasuki’s trial begins Tuesday

The Federal Government will on Tuesday arraign former
National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), before
a Federal High Court in Abuja for allegedly being in
possession of firearms without license.
The Department of State Security Service, DSS, had, in a
statement by one of its officials, Tony Opuiyo, on August 24,
2015, said that it had charged Dasuki with the alleged
offence.
Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Ibrahim Auta,
had on Friday assigned the case to Justice Adeniyi Ademola,
who is the court’s vacation judge.
The DSS said it had charged Dasuki with possession of
firearms without licence, an offence punishable under
section 27(I)(a)(I) of the Firearms Act Cap F28 Laws of the
Federation of Nigeria 2004, based on evidence so far
obtained.
The Federal Ministry of Justice had since taken over the
case.
It was learnt that the trial which ought to have started last
week was postponed due to the directive of the Chief
Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmmud Mohammed, to
various heads of court not to sit throughout the week to
enable lawyers and interested judges to participate in the
just-concluded one week-long Annual Bar Conference of the
Nigerian Bar Association.
The DSS had searched Dssuki's home and claimed that it
searched it “based on credible intelligence linking the
immediate past NSA with alleged plans to commit
treasonable felony against the Nigerian state.”
The statement partly read:
“You may recall that on July 16, 2015, the
Department of State Services carried out search
operations on properties belonging to the immediate
past National Security Adviser, Col. Mohammed
Sambo Dasuki (retd.), in Abuja and Sokoto.
“This action was necessitated by credible
intelligence, which linked him to acts capable of
undermining national security. The search operations
led to the recovery of large cache of arms and
ammunition among other things and for which
further investigation was conducted.
“Consequently, on Monday, August 24, 2015, he was
charged to court based on evidence so far obtained,
but which relates to possession of firearms without
licence punishable under section 27(i)(a)(i) of the
Firearms Act Cap F28 LFN 2004.”
The secret service said Dasuki’s arraignment was in line
with democratic practice and “our avowed commitment to
the rule of law, in which nobody is deemed to be above the
law, no matter how highly placed in the society.”
Punch
Read More

Boko Haram kills 56 in remote part of Borno State

Islamic extremist group Boko Haram killed 56 villagers in a
remote area, the governor of Borno State of the region said,
as the government warned that the extremists are trying to
extend their violent campaign.
Gov. Kashim Shettima confirmed the attack in Baanu village
during a meeting with the parents of the 219 girls abducted
from a school in the region by the extremists last year.
Thursday marked 500 days of captivity of the girls from a
school in Chibok.
"I want us all to understand that the Boko Haram
crisis is a calamity that has befallen us, as the
insurgents do not discriminate whether somebody is
Christian or Muslim, neither do they have any tribal
sympathy or affiliations. Just yesterday they killed 56
people in Baanu village of Nganzai local government,
as I am speaking to you their corpses are still littered
on the street of the village because virtually everyone
in the village had to run for their lives".
He did not provide further details of the attack.
Fleeing residents of Baanu village said they were attacked by
Boko Haram on Friday night.
"We returned back to the village in the morning after
spending the night in the bush, we saw corpses in
the streets of the village," said farmer Mustapha
Alibe.
AP
Read More

Sunday, 30 August 2015

U2’s Bono has become the world’s richest pop star after
raking in nearly £1 billion from his Facebook shares. The
Beautiful Day hitmaker bought a 2.3 per cent share in the
social media network for £56 million in 2009 with the
investment group that he co-founded, Elevation Partners.
Today that share is worth a whopping £940 million,
according to reports. That means that Bono’s venture has
earned him more in the last six years than the whole of his
incredible music career.
Now Bono takes over Beatles legend Sir Paul McCartney as
the world’s richest pop star. The singer, who is married to
Nancy Shevell, has an impressive £730 million. While
Madonna has £520 million.
Facebook hit its own ‘billion’ milestone this week, when it
had one billion users in one day.
The company went public in 2009.
Source: UK Mirror
Read More